Friday, February 6, 2015

Meet the ladies of Spruce 201

For me, the scariest part of moving out here was not knowing with whom I would be living.  It took me a while to even decided I'd brave on-campus living.  Being able to have my own room in an apartment setting, however, sealed the deal and I decided I'd give it a shot.

I'm not lucky enough to ever really gamble; on anything.  But this time I totally lucked out.  I could not have hand-picked better roommates.  Each of my three roommates is crazy, fun, and amazing in their own way!  Get ready to meet the other girls in Spruce 201!


Dani is new like me.  We both moved in on the same day and are both finding our place in the apartment.  She's your basic white girl, which I say in the most loving and sincere way.  She loves coffee above just about above everything else.  Chipotle might come in a close second on that one, actually.  She has a record player in her room on which she plays her vintage Beatles record that she scored in some record shop in Portland.  Side note, she was in Portland trying to get her typewriter fixed.  Yes, she has a typewriter.  And yes, she actually uses it.  She's a total hipster from Southern California.  :)  She also plays for the girls' soccer team here and has a killer sense of humor.  I'm so glad that she's the one helping me find my place here.

Next up is Ka.  One of my biggest fears was that I'd be rooming with 3 18-year old girls and I'd end up mothering them.  Ka, however, is 28 and is super fun.  Like me she comes from a big family.  She's the youngest of 9 kids (an even bigger family than mine)!  Ka is a bit of a scientific anomaly, in fact I think scientists are in the midst of studying her, in that there is a large black woman stuck inside a tiny Asian body.  This girl has more sass and attitude than anyone I've ever known.  She also says the most ridiculously hilarious things, like when she told us all that we need to go to Rio so that we can get us some Jamaican boyfriends!

Gianne is amazing!  She is smart, funny, and full of energy.  We both like to dance and once spent 3 hours on a Saturday "playing" Just Dance.  Playing is in quotation marks because it was too much trouble to play the game using the app so we just looked up YouTube videos of dances and mirrored them without scoring any points.  Being from Hawaii, Gianne is part of the Hawaii club and is teaching a hula for the upcoming luau.  She's even letting me tag along!  Like the other two, Gianne also has a great sense of humor.  She's also super gullible which makes for some really funny experiences.  Like when Dani told her that she (Gianne) was adopted, and for about 2 whole seconds Gianne believed Dani, then confusion set in.  In high school Gianne also wrote an essay about bananas titled "This Girl is Bananas, B-A-N-A-N-A-S". She got an A.


So, basically, I live with three of the most incredible girls on campus and I couldn't be happier.  Most every night we end up laughing until we start crying and/or getting stomach cramps!

No comments:

Post a Comment