Tuesday, August 25, 2015

What I Brought Back With Me

The things I brought back to Utah far outweigh the things I left in Oregon. As with the things I left behind,  I have both physical and intangible things that I have brought back with me. I brought back with me a few stunning additions to my art portfolio, a pink petunia named Princess, some pretty sweet sculptures, trinkets and friendship bracelets from friends and many other things that I can't remember now.

Most importantly, though, are those that are untouchable. Ditching my baggage allowed me to more clearly understand myself and what I want. I also gained a kind of freedom and confidence that one only knows when they let go of the issues that weigh them down. It is that freedom and confidence that I have brought back to Utah.

I have also brought back the memories and experiences that cannot be replicated or replaced. Some of these happened on random nights when my roommates and I were just hanging out in our living room. Others were more poignant conversations with professors that continue to shape my artistic expression. Unfortunately I was unable to bring these incredible people back to Utah with me, (although I've done my best to convince them to move out here) but the memories of the experiences we shared will suffice until we meet again.

Thank you, WOU, for giving me what I needed to move forward and to grow.  The time I spent in Monmouth, however brief, will forever hold a special place in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment