Tuesday, August 25, 2015

What I Left Behind

Today was the first day back to school for me.  As I walked around the UVU campus I got thinking about my time at WOU.  As I think back from the time I packed my bags and started my journey, to packing it back up and heading home I realized there are things I left behind, and there are things I brought to Utah with me.

Some of the things I left behind are physical; a sculpture that I was never able to pick up that is now officially property of WOU, a pretty sweet photo booth backdrop and probably a few small car parts in the parking lot.

The most important things I left behind, however, are those that are intangible.  Stepping out of my comfort zone allowed me to evaluate who I am and the things that matter to me.  When I moved to Oregon I had a lot weighing on my heart and my mind.  Being in Oregon allowed me to distance myself, not just physically, but emotionally as well from the things that had been holding me back, allowing my true personality to shine.

Being at home I was afraid that the things that I had been able to free myself of in Oregon would creep back into my life.  As I embark on a new school year, however, I am realizing that I was able to leave my baggage in Oregon.  Sorry, Monmouth, it's yours to keep now!

No comments:

Post a Comment